September plantings are going well. All six bed are about to be fully occupied. The ground is warming up and everything is taking off. Looking at the picture above, we run the six beds in an anti-clockwise rotation.
Bottom Left (closest) - grew a crop of green manure over winter, now has corn and a few quick growing lettuce's, will fill the rest of the space with zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins shortly.
Bottom Right - grew a crop of green manure over winter, now filled with three varieties of potatoes. They've been in for about three weeks and are about to break through any day. If all goes well, we'll be digging new spuds for Christmas Lunch.
Centre Right - root bed. Growing four varieties of carrots, spring onions, beetroot and pak-choi. Finishing off a crop of lettuce's to make room for more carrots or pak-choi.
At one end of the grape vine, in the back corner of our yard, we've partitioned off our compost bins. They're hidden away behind a bamboo fence just in case they get a bit untidy. They were very easy to make, I just used some old hardwood shipping pallets. Just stood them up and used a few steal posted to hold them in place. They allow plenty of air flow into the compost and are easy to get hold of. I found 4 bins are ideal. One (back corner) I use as a bulk holding bin for sheep poo, I can buy it locally by the trailer load. The next bin (far left) I use as a holding bin for the finished compost. The other two (right) I use for the fresh new compost that's still rotting down. Rather than trying to flip or turn the material in a single bin, I find it's far easier to toss it from one bin to the other. It does a better job of mixing it up and gets the air back into the entire load.